By Carter Lindberg
Charting the increase and improvement of Christianity, Carter Lindberg has succeeded in writing a concise and compelling historical past of the world’s greatest faith. He spans over 2,000 years of colourful incident to offer an authoritative heritage of Christianity for either the final reader and the start scholar.
- Ranges from the missionary trips of the apostles to the tele-evangelism of the twenty-first century.
- Demonstrates how the Christian neighborhood obtained and solid its identification from its improvement of the Bible to the current day.
- Covers subject matters primary to knowing the process Western Christianity, together with the expansion of the papacy, heresy and schism, reformation and counter-reformation.
- Includes an advent to the historiography of Christianity, a notice at the difficulties of periodization, an appendix on theological phrases, and an invaluable bibliography.
- An authoritative but succinct historical past, written to entice a basic viewers in addition to scholars of the background of Christianity.
- Written by way of across the world looked theologian, Carter Lindberg, who's the writer of various titles on theology and Church history.
Read or Download A brief history of Christianity PDF
Similar religious history books
Are not the phrases "Medieval Islam" a redundancy? while has Islam ever now not been "Medieval"? for instance, with the intention to research the background of the "Dark Ages", you'll learn eighth and ninth century Europe, otherwise you may well examine any Arab state this present day that is guided by means of Islamic rules.
The eighteen essays amassed during this publication had their foundation in a convention of an analogous identify, held on the Wingspread convention middle in October of 1993. one of the most extraordinary students within the box have been invited to mirror on their specialities in American non secular background in ways in which summarized the place the sphere is and the place it should circulate within the many years to come back.
American communalism isn't really a disjointed, erratic, nearly ephemeral a part of our prior, yet an on-going, crucial a part of American background. this crucial examine starts with an exam of America's first spiritual utopia at Ephrata, close to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1732 and strains successive utopian experiments within the usa during the following centuries.
- The Religious Life of Nabataea
- Evil and the Augustinian Tradition
- Heavenly Realms and Earthly Realities in Late Antique Religions
- Crossing Galilee: Architectures of Contact in the Occupied Land of Jesus
Extra info for A brief history of Christianity
In this schema, evil is seen as a defect, a lack of being. Persons are pulled downward or direct their attention downward away from being toward non-being, and therefore are not what they ought to be. But as 40 BHOC04 The Heavenly City 40 6/6/05, 10:32 AM attractive as this was intellectually for Augustine, he was unable to put it into practice. Neoplatonism showed him the good, but did not enable him to reach it. He wondered how Christian monks, who to him were not very bright, could control themselves, but he with all his publicly acclaimed brilliance could not.
Constantine allowed an antiNicene coalition to take root in his court and by the end of his reign it had become an anti-Athanasian force. As bishop, Athanasius was soon faced by riots and intrigues against the Nicene party. He stood firm, but by the time of Constantine’s death and the succession of his sons, the leaders of the Nicene party in the East had been deposed or exiled. A relentless and dirty campaign began against Athanasius. Since his opponents could not attack his orthodoxy, they attacked his person, accusing him, among other things, of murdering another bishop and using his hand in magic rites – a charge refuted by producing the person in question with both hands still attached.
Prior to the final battle at the Milvian Bridge outside Rome, Constantine reportedly had a vision of the cross with the promise that under this sign he would conquer. He then replaced the emblems on the shields and standards of his troops with an intersecting X-P. Whether Constantine had in mind the emblem of the Sun god, Sol invictus, of whom he was then a devotee, or the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ (chi – “X,” rho – “P”) as Christian propagandists would later claim, the outcome was a change in policy toward the Christian faith.
A brief history of Christianity by Carter Lindberg